Monday, August 17, 2009

Slava's Snowshow

Entertainment Weekly said, "Walking into Snowshow is like strapping yourself into the very best ride ever."

The New York Times said, "In a show that touches the heart and tickles the funny bone, Slava and his giggle of clowns are stirring up laughter and enjoyment. Highly recommended."

Variety proclaimed, "Slava's Snowshow is enchanting and remarkable and awakens a child-like sense of wonder and glee."

The Wall Street Journal wrote, "Snowshow is a zany fantasia, and I loved every minute of it."

All I can say is "WHAT??!!" Watched it on Friday evening with Margaret. Prior to admission, I overheard people talking about how they watch it every year or how this person watched it 3 times. Thomas really liked it as well. Anticipation...expectation. Show started.

All throughout the first half, I was stealing glances at Margaret to see if she was laughing along with the other audiences because I wasnt. I thought "OMG...What in the world??!!...Am I missing something or some gene". Everyone else was laughing their heads off and during the intermission, the lady behind me proclaimed "It's FANTASTIC". SIMI IS FANTASTIC. HOW COME I AM NOT GETTING IT??!!! Marg and I looked at each other really confused. Thank goodness I am not the only one.

Second half came and gone with not much of a difference. Only understood half of it. I mean the show wasnt bad. I didnt dislike it. But I was truly confused by what I am watching. There is the "scene" whereby the clown was doing the leaving on a train routine whereby he puts his hand in the coat which was on a coat stand and pretended that it's his lover and they were saying farewell to each other. Ok..that I got. Then he boarded a train and landed in this snowy mountain place. Ok...that I got. Then he got caught in a "blizzard" and then there was this blinding light with huge fan blowing and then confetti all in my face. Ok..that I somehow got. Then big balloons fell on audience and everyone was playing with it. HUH??!?!!! Did not get it. I guess the most confusing thing about the whole show is how come everyone else got it? Standing ovation as well.

Let me see. This is the best way to sum up the show and the feeling. It's like watching one of those shows on tv whereby they warn you about sex scene and nudity and so you are drawn to watch it. Then it happens to be one of those abstract arty farty shows that half the time you think you understand and then you think you dont and the worse part of it is when it ends. It leaves you more confused and perplexed than when you started.

The show was so intriguing that it wasnt boring. I left the theatre feeling more alert than before. It's just WEIRD.

No comments: